As a Ghanaian or a resident of Ghana, you can’t travel to America without knowing the American Embassy in Ghana. So if you are looking for the embassy, this post will give you the necessary information on the embassy.
An embassy is a diplomatic representation of one country in another. It is usually a building whose premises belong to a foreign government. Embassies exist to smoothen the diplomatic relationship between the two countries, it also aids intercommunication between the two governments.
The United States of America (USA) is one of the superpowers in world politics today. The country has one of the highest numbers of consulate and embassies across all continents.
America has 294 embassies and consulates all over the world. Among the 294 American embassies in the world, Ghana has one of it.
So, if you need anything in the American embassy in Ghana, here is a detailed post to help you with that. Read on.
Table of Contents
American Embassy in Ghana
The American embassy in Ghana is located at No. 24, Fourth Circular Road, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana.
The office opens by 7:30 am from Mondays to Fridays and closes by 5: 00 pm. Although on Fridays, it closes at 12: 00 pm. The website of the embassy is also open for people to access.
Despite its main role is to foster better diplomatic relations between the two countries the priority of the embassy is the American citizens residing in Ghana.
Duties of the American Embassy in Ghana
The overall duty of the embassy is to foster diplomatic relationships between the two countries. However, there are other duties and activities performed by the embassy which are worth mentioning. They are as follows:
- It ensures that the economic policies in operation in Ghana do not in any way inhibit the trade relations between the two countries. In fact, they push and lobby for policies that will increase trade and strengthen the business relationships between the United States and Ghana. So far so good they have been excelling well at this function as the total trade between America and Ghana is reported to be $1.2 billion annually.
- They provide educational counselling to Ghanaians who seek to study in the United States and they also provide scholarships as well as educational exchanges between America and Ghana.
- They grant visas to individuals who wish to travel from Ghana to the United States after conducting a proper vetting and interview . Visa services in the American embassy is the job of the department for travel permits.
- The American embassy provides support for the Ghanaian government through various means such as partnership programs, economic and development support, health, agriculture, as well as education and so on.
- In the event of an international treaty involving the two countries, the embassy prepares for this treaty as well as the official visits of top American government officials.
Other Duties of the Embassy
As mentioned earlier, the American embassy treats issues involving its citizens with the utmost priority and importance. Hence, the embassy provides some unique services for its citizens in other to stay responsible to them.
It is the duty of the embassy to provide security for the American citizens in Ghana. In case there is a breakdown of order in the country, the embassy secures the Americans there.
Sometimes the help that the embassy could render for the American citizens residing in Ghana who are in need of help may be limited. This is as a result of the nature of the problem brought forward by the American.
The embassy cannot interfere when an American commits a crime within the borders of Ghana. The legal system of Ghana will run its full course in the proceedings regarding such matters.
The limit which the embassy can go for such cases is to ensure that the individual does not suffer any inhuman treatment. It also ensures that such person gets the normal protection of the law while in custody.
American embassies in time past used to provide a financial service for American travellers who are stranded either through their own misappropriation of funds or in the event when their money was stolen.
The American embassies grant them a form of relief to ease their current predicament. However, people’s continuous attitude of defaulting repayment has led them to cancel this service.
In the event of an unforeseen occurrence like a natural disaster, and there is a need for evacuation the embassy facilitates the arrangement of group transportation.
The travellers must, however, agree contractually to repay the embassy’s expenses.
Offices in the American Embassy in Ghana
Offices located within the American embassy in Ghana include:
- The consular section
- Defence attaché office
- The Department of Homeland Security
- Foreign Agriculture Service
- Foreign Commercial Service
- Office of Security Cooperation
- Peace Corps
- Public Affairs
Relations Between Ghana and America
The diplomatic relationship between America and Ghana dates back to the year 1957. It began after Ghana gained independence from the British government.
Ghana hosted the cohort of Peace Corps Volunteers to serve overseas for the first time in the year 1961.
In the defence sector, Ghana and the United States have been close allies over the years. The military of both countries works together in some joint training exercises under the leadership of the US African Command.
Both countries also have a bilateral agreement on some military-related programmes. These programmes include the bilateral International Military Education and Training program as well as the Foreign Military Financing program.
The United States facilitates a military peacekeeping programme in the African Contingency Operations Training and Assistance program of which Ghana is a participant till date.
The US International Visitor Leadership Program is just one of the top international programmes organised by the US which Ghana is a beneficiary.
Ghanaian parliamentarians and some selected government officials were the beneficiaries of this programme which ensure that they get acquainted and exposed to the congressional as well as state legislative practices.
Whatever it is you need to sort out at the American embassy in Ghana is now less stressful with this post. You now know the address, website, functions and other things about the embassy.
Visit the embassy today, procure your visa and sort out other issues you need to fix at the embassy. I hope you find this post useful. Thank for reading.