Would you like to learn how to cook a delicious sizzling pot of Okra soup? Well, you’re in the right place. This article will also unveil the health benefits of Okra soup.
You should know that Okra soup is one of the quickest and easiest Nigerian meals to prepare. Yes, once the vegetables are prepared, you’ll be eating this local cuisine in no time; it is not expensive to prepare and have tons of health benefits. This is one of the Best Okra soup Recipe Online.
The best thing about this soup is that it is easy to make, does not require many ingredients (most of which are probably already in your pantry), and can be cooked using a wide range of methods. This means that you can make it even if you are camping, schooling or in hurry,
Table of Contents
What is Okra Soup
Okra soup is also a famous Nigerian Soup known as Ofe Okwuru to the Igbo cultural group, Obe Ila in Yoruba and Miyan Kubewa in the Hausa language. Okra soup is prepared using the Okra (flowering plants) as a primary ingredient. The okra gives this traditional cuisine its greenish color and a slippery feel when rubbed with the fingers. Okra can also be used to prepare stew and sauce.
Okra Soup is one of the quickest and easiest Nigerian soups to cook. Once the vegetables have been shredded, they cook in no time. Each tribe has its unique method of cooking, some use Ogbono, and some don’t. But this is the general preparation method for preparing Okra soup. Let’s get down to it, and this is how to Cook a delicious sizzling pot of Okra soup.
Nutritional Value Of Okra Soup
Okro fruits are endowed with several vitamins and nutritional elements. Okro as said earlier is slimy, and this slime is needed by individuals with digestion problems and stomach issues i.e ulcers. Okro fruits are also low in calories, and rich in fibers, which are also great for digestion, lower fatigue, stress, and cholesterol.
Okro soup has long been favored as a food for the health-conscious. It contains the right amounts of Dietary Fiber, Sugars(2.0 g), Protein(23%), Vitamin A, Vitamin B-12(19g), Vitamin B-6(15g), Vitamin C(29g), Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Riboflavin, Selenium, Thiamin, and Zinc. Okro soup also contains 1.3 g of Saturated Fat, 0.5 g of Polyunsaturated Fat and 1.0 g of Monounsaturated Fat.
Ingredients For Okra Soup
If you want to cook a tasty pot of Okro Soup, you’ll need the following ingredients
- 6 cups of Okra (300g)
- 100g of red palm oil
- 1kg of Assorted meat (beef, turkey, chicken, Shaki (cow tripe), Ponmo(cow skin).
- 300g of Dry Fish & Stock Fish
- 2 iced fish
- Ogiri okpei
- Tomato (optional, but recommended for Vegetarians)
- 2 cooking spoon of grounded crayfish
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- 3 balls of medium-sized Onions
- 4 handful of pumpkin leaves (Ugu) or spinach
- 3 stock cubes
How to Cook Okra Soup
To cook a delicious sizzling pot of Okra soup, you’ll have to
1. Chop the okra into tiny bits, cut your vegetables into thin slices, and set them aside.
2. Wash your meat and fish, then season the stockfish and assorted meat with a stock cube, one onion, and salt to taste. Then cook until tender.
3. Pour the red palm oil into another pot until it is congealed. Once this is done, introduce the chopped Okra and two onions and stir while frying until the Okra begins to draw.
4. Then you add your vegetables, pepper, salt, stock cubes, ogiri okpei, and crayfish and stir firmly.
5. Pour the seasoned meat and fish into the Okra mixture, stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. And your delicious pot of Okra soup is ready.
Servings – 6
Cooking Time – 45 Mins
And just like that, you’ve prepared a delicious sizzling pot of Okra soup in less than 45 Minutes, ready to satisfy six people. Okra soup is best served hot with Eba, Fufu, Semolina, Amala, Tuwo Shinkafa, Pounded Yam, and other swallow food. Enjoy.
Okra Soup can also be prepared without Palm oil if you prefer a low-fat diet. Okra Soup can also be prepared without Frying. You should search for Ghana Okra Soup Recipe, Okra Soup Vegetarian Recipe, How To Prepare Fried Okra Soup, How To Make Okra Soup Without Palm Oil, How To Cook Okro Soup Without Frying, How To Cook Okro Soup With Ogbono, Okro Soup With Uziza, Seafood Okra Soup Recipe to get more appetizing and Healthy Okra soup Recipe.