Airtel Nigeria has introduced a new service that allows customers to link their National Identification Number (NIN) to their Airtel phone number. This is in line with the Federal Government’s directive that all telecom subscribers must link their NIN to their phone number by December 31, 2020.
In Nigeria, it is possible to link your National Identification Number (NIN) to your airtel line. This is a process completed online, and it is necessary to have your NIN. This blog post will walk you through the steps to link your NIN to your airtel line in Nigeria.
Table of Contents
How To Link NIN To Airtel
There are two ways to link your NIN to your airtel phone number. Both can be done online, and you don’t have to visit a customer care representative or an accredited center.
The two ways to link your National Identity Number (NIN) are:
1. Using USSD Code
You will need to follow a few simple steps to link your NIN to your airtel account in Nigeria. First, you must have your National Identification Number (NIN) ready.
You will also need to have your airtel phone number available. Once you have these two pieces of information, you can follow the steps below to link your NIN to your airtel account:
- Dial *121# on your airtel line and select the option to link your NIN. You can also dial*121*1# and click send.
- After dialing *121*1#, it will bring out a message prompt asking you to input your National Identification Number (NIN).
- Insert your NIN and click send.
- You’ll receive a message confirming if you’ve successfully linked it with your airtel sim card.
Once you have followed these steps, your NIN will be successfully linked to your airtel phone number.
2. Through The Airtel-NIN Dedicated Portal
Airtel has a portal that links your NIN to your airtel sim card. However, you need mobile data and an internet connection for this method. Here’s how to connect your NIN to Airtel on their website.
- Open your phone or computer browser and visit https://www.airtel.com.ng/nin/.
- You’ll be asked to input your phone number.
- After inputting your phone number, click on “send OTP.”
- You’ll be asked to fill in your email and alternate phone number. Fill them in and check correctly for errors.
- After filling in your details, click proceed.
- They’ll send an OTP as a text message. If you do not see it, wait 2 minutes before clicking on “send again.”
- After filling in the OTP, Fill in your National identification Number below. Accept their terms and conditions and click on proceed.
That’s it. You’ve successfully linked your NIN to your Airtel Number.
3. Through The NIMC Mobile ID App
You can also use the NIMC Mobile ID app to link your NIN to your Airtel Phone number. If you still have a problem connecting your NIN to your airtel number with the other methods. You can use the NIMC mobile to link them.
Here’s how to link your NIN to Airtel Using NIMC Mobile ID App
Step 1: Download the NIMC Mobile ID App
Go to the Google play store for android devices or the App Store for iOS devices to download it.
Step 2: Use your Phone Number and NIN to Sign In
After installing the Mobile app, launch the app and sign in using your national identification number (NIN) and phone number. An OTP will be sent to the number for Verification. Please note that the OTP has a validity of one minute.
Step 3: Create your six-digit pin
Once you’ve verified your phone number using the OTP they sent. You will be required to create a six-digit pin or password. This will be your login pin.
Step 4: Link Your Phone Number
Once logged in, you will see “link my numbers” on the dashboard. Click on it and add the phone number you want to link. You can link up to seven numbers using the same NIN.
However, for verification, an OTP will be sent to every number you want to link.
How to Check NIN On Airtel
The code to check your NIN on your Airtel number is *346#. After dialing the code, click on 1 to check your NIN. However, there’s a ₦20 charge on every check.
Also, the sim has to be registered and linked to that NIN before you can check it on the number.
Can I Check My NIN Online?
No, you cannot check it online. There’s no portal available to check NIN online. You can only check it through the SIM that the NIN was registered with.
Can I Register For NIN On My Airtel Sim?
No, you cannot register for NIN on your Airtel Sim. Going to a registered outlet for your national identification number would be best.
Linking your NIN to your airtel sim is very easy. There are three methods to do that. You can link it by dialing *121*1#, and you can also link it by visiting the Airtel NIN-dedicated portal to link it as well.
Also, you can download the NIMC Mobile app to link it with your NIN. Please note that you can register up to 7 numbers with a single NIN. You can also check your NIN on your airtel sim. All you have to do is dial *346#. Please note that there’s a ₦20 for every check.
We hope this article answers all your question and solves your problem.