Have you ever recharged your airtime, most likely to purchase a data bundle or to call someone, and then received notification from your service provider that a certain amount had been deducted from your account balance to pay for a service you didn’t realize had auto-renewal?
Many Nigerians who use any service provider, particularly Airtel, have probably been in this situation once or twice. And it can be inconvenient, especially if you have a limited budget or are not in a location where you can purchase additional airtime.
This article contains different methods to stop auto-renewal on Airtel.
Table of Contents
How To Stop Auto Renewal On Airtel
You can use different ways to cancel auto-renewal on any data plan. Most people unknowingly activate the auto-renewal plan when subscribing to a plan. It can be very annoying when a service keeps deducting airtime for a service you no longer use.
I’ll list different methods you can use to deactivate or cancel auto-renewal on any subscription plan or bundle you are subscribed to. Furthermore, you can prevent the auto-renewal saga entirely by selecting the “one-off” or “stop my data” option when subscribing to a data bundle or any other plan. This will not renew the subscription when it expires.
Here are ways to cancel auto-renewal on Airtel.
1. Using USSD Code To Cancel Auto-Renewal
Using USSD is very simple. You must dial a series of USSD codes, click send, and you’re done.
- Open the dialer app on your phone
- Dial *362# and click send
- Select option “2” to opt-out, or you can dial *362*2#
- For Andriod bundles, dial *438*100# and click send
- For mega bundles, dial *408*100# and click send
2. Using SMS To Cancel Auto-Renewal
If the USSD method is not working, you can use SMS to cancel the auto-renewal service on airtel.
- Open the messaging app on your phone
- Type “STOP” without the quotes to 141
- You can also send “STOP AUTO-RENEW” to 440
- You’ll receive a message saying you’ve successfully deactivated your auto-renewal.
3. Canceling Auto-Renewal Via Customer Care
You can also call Airtel customer care if you want to cancel the auto-renewal service. All you have to do is dial 111 and call their customer care service.
After calling them, request to speak with a customer representative and ask them to help you check what service you’re currently subscribed to. You can then ask them to help you with the auto-renewal service.
- Launch the dialer app on your phone
- Call airtel customer care on 111
- Wait for a customer care representative to pick up
- Request that they cancel your auto-renewal service
- The representative will ask you a few personal questions to confirm if the sim belongs to you.
- Once your identity has been verified. They’ll deactivate the auto-renewal automatically from their side.
- You’ll also receive a message confirming that the auto-renewal has been deactivated successfully.
4. Using Twitter To Deactivate Auto-Renewal
If you have an active Twitter account, you can also use it to deactivate auto-renewal on Airtel.
- Log in to your Twitter account. You can sign up for a new account if you do not have one.
- Locate the search bar and search for “airtel_care.” Make sure the “airtel_care” account has a verification badge in front.
- Send them a message that you want to cancel the auto-renewal service. Include your phone number and the plan you want to deactivate the auto-renewal.
- Once they receive your message, you’ll get a notification confirming the cancelation of the auto-renewal service on your sim.
How To Upgrade My MTN Sim To 4G and Settings
How To Upgrade My 9mobile Sim to 4G
How To Do Night Plan On MTN With USSD Codes
How To Activate Auto-Renewal Service On Airtel
It’s okay to use auto-renewal. It assists you in automating your monthly expenses, and there are discounts for those who use the service. There is no easy way to turn on auto-renewal. It can only be activated when purchasing a data plan or paying for a service.
For example, if you purchase a monthly data plan from Airtel and want to purchase the same amount the following month, there is a yes or no option that asks if you want to activate auto-renewal. If you click yes, you’ve successfully activated auto renewal for that specific plan.
Ultimately, there’s no single code or SMS to activate auto-renewal generally. You can only do it for a particular data plan or bundle you want to activate.
What Is The Code To Cancel Auto-Renewal On Airtel?
You can use *362*2# to cancel auto-renewal on Airtel. If you want to cancel android data plans, dial *438*100# or *408*100# for mega plans. You can also use SMS and call customer care service to cancel the auto-renewal service on Airtel.
If you’re good at browsing the internet with airtel data plans, you must have faced an auto-renewal issue. Now, some people like it, and others don’t. Being charged when you are not ready or don’t need a particular service can be very annoying.
Airtel is one of the most used service providers in Nigeria. To opt-out of their auto-renewal service, dial *438*100# or send “STOP” to 141 as a text message. Following the instruction in this article, you should be able to stop the auto-renewal on your Airtel network.