MTN Nigeria is the largest service provider in Nigeria, with more than 20 million customers. Now that MTN has launched 4G LTE coverage across the globe, including Nigeria. You can now enjoy faster mobile internet speeds, improved video, and high-definition voice quality.
However, most people do not know how to upgrade their 3G MTN sim to 4G. This article will teach you how to upgrade your MTN sim card from 3G to a 4G network.
Table of Contents
How To Upgrade My MTN Sim To 4G
If you want to upgrade your MTN SIM card to 4G in Nigeria, there are a few steps you need to follow. If your phone is 4G enabled, you need to purchase or swap a 4G SIM card from your nearest MTN office.
Once you have the SIM card, please insert it into your phone and dial *131#. Enter the number 4 when prompted and follow the remaining prompts to complete the process.
Here’s how to upgrade your MTN sim to 4G
- Visit any MTN centre or sim swap outlet around you.
- Go along with your valid national identification. (it could be your international passport, national identity card, or voter card).
- Submit your old sim card to the customer care representative and request a sim upgrade to 4G.
- You’ll be given a form to form. The form will ask you to fill in details like name, date of birth, your mother’s maiden name, your home address, the last five frequently dialed number, and the number of the sim you want to upgrade to 4G.
- After filling out the form, the customer care representative will take your thumbprint verification. The representative will also take your photo.
- Once your details are verified, you’ll be issued a new sim that’s 4G enabled.
- However, you have to wait for some hours for the sim swap to take place before inserting the sim into your phone.
- Also, make sure you are in an MTN 4G coverage location.
How To Change My Phone Network To 4G Settings
Like many people in Nigeria, you’re probably using a 4G phone. But you may not realize that the network settings might be set at 3G, and you need to change the settings so you can use a 4G network. Here’s how to do it:
First, you’ll need to purchase a 4G SIM card from your service provider. Once you have the SIM card, you’ll need to activate it by following the instructions on the card.
Once your SIM is activated, you’ll need to insert it into your phone. Once inserted, you’ll need to select the “4G” option in your phone’s settings.
Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of 4G. That includes faster speeds, better coverage, and more reliable service.
Here’s how to change your phone settings to 4G
- Go to the “settings” on your phone’s menu. You can also pull the notification bar and click on the settings icon.
- Click on “connections.”
- After clicking on “connections”, click on “Mobile networks.
- After clicking on “mobile network”, you’ll see a network mode option for either sim. Click on it.
- If the phone is 4G compatible, it will have “LTE” as an option, but if it’s not, it will only have 3G.
If you are also planning on getting a new phone, you can check if it’s 4G compatible through the pack. The company will write” LTE” on the package if it’s compatible.
What Are The Benefits Of Upgrading MTN Sim To 4G?
Upgrading your MTN sim card to 4G has a lot of benefits. You’ll be able to download or stream at a speed of 1000mbps. However, the fast data speed is not the only benefit you’ll get from the upgrade. You’ll also get free data and data bonuses as well.
Here are some of the benefits of upgrading your MTN sim card to 4G
- Once you upgrade the sim card, you get gifted with 10GB of data, valid for seven days.
- You also get free 4GB of data for seven days as well.
- You get faster internet speed of up to 1000mbps
- You get uninterrupted streaming of music and videos
- You also get a 100% data bonus for three months after upgrading the sim
- Additional 25% data bonus for 4 to 6 months after upgrading the sim
How To Check If The Sim Upgrade Is Successful
Suppose you notice that after you went through with the upgrade, you can”t still access the internet using 4G. You can check it manually to see if the upgrade was successful.
All you have to do is send a text message containing 4G to 131. You’ll get a response telling you whether your sim is 4G enabled or not. If it’s not enabled, go back to the outlet you did the upgrade and make a complaint.
Can I Upgrade My MTN Sim To 4G Online?
No, you cannot upgrade it online. You can only check the sim’s eligibility at home or online. You have to go to an MTN-accredited center to have your sim upgraded.
Do I Have To Pay Before Upgrading My MTN Sim To 4G?
No, you do not need to pay. Upgrading your MTN sim card from 3G to 4G is entirely free. All you need to take along is a valid identity card.
Upgrading your sim from 3G to 4G is available to all MTN Customers. If you are an MTN customer, follow the steps above to learn how to upgrade your MTN sim 3G to a 4G network in Nigeria.
Once you receive the new sim card, there are certain things you need to do. First, insert the sim card into your device (make sure it’s the right way round) and power on your device. Second, connect your device to a data-enabled Wi-Fi network and activate a mobile data subscription with your primary carrier. Then, upgrade your MTN sim card to a 4G network in Nigeria. Follow these simple steps, and your old 3G sim will change to 4G.
I hope this article answers and solves all your question relating to how to upgrade MTN sim from 3G to 4G