Would you like to learn how to prepare a tantalizing pot of Oha soup? If yes, then you’re in the right place. If you have fresh oha leaves and want to make a pot of oha soup, This post will teach you how to cook a sweet Oha Soup.
What is Oha Soup?
Oha soup also known as Ora soup, Ofe Ora or Oha by the Igbo cultural groups and Efere Nkpa by Calabar cultural group is one of the most delicious soups eaten in Nigeria. This Nigerian cuisine is thickened with cocoyam and seasoned with smoked fish, crayfish, and Oha leaves.
Oha soup is arguably the most delicious soup in Nigeria. If you don’t like Egusi soup or Okra soup, your best choice is Ofe Oha. Oha soup has a similar cooking procedure with Bitterleaf soup, the major difference is the leaves used in making it. When cooking Oha soup, you make use of Ora leaves which you harvest from the tree. And for Bitterleaf soup, you sure Bitterleaf.
Although the major difference is the vegetable, these two meals have a distinct taste. Ora Soup is special because the oha leaves used in preparing this soup recipe is tender and tasty, unlike Bitterleaf which needs tough washing to become mildly tasty.
Oha soup has that rich beefy taste that would make you fall in love with this meal. And what makes this meal even more special is that the tender Ora leaves used in preparing this soup are seasonal, unlike Bitterleaf that can be found all year round.
Health Benefits of Oha soup
Oha Leaf also known as Ora leaf, African Rosewood leaves, and Pterocarpus mildraedii is a meal that aids digestive function. The dietary fiber in Oha Leaves helps to improve the digestive function and reduce stomach acids that cause Ulcer.
Any well-prepared oha soup makes food digestion smooth and easy. It prevents constipation and removes leftover food residue from the body without causing constant stooling. It prevents Diabetes, Oha Leaves also prevent the accumulation of calorie in the blood that increases blood glucose level.
A good Oha soup has a large amount of protein, energy, Potassium, calcium, vitamins and minerals, iron, and is overall healthy for you.
Ingredients For Oha Soup
Here is a list of ingredient needed to prepare a delicious pot of Oha soup.
- 4 handful of Ora leaf
- 200ml of palm oil
- 700g of goat meat
- 1kg of assorted meat (turkey, cow liver, tongue, skin (Kompo), tribe (Shaki), chicken, Catfish)
- 1 tablespoon of Ogiri
- A handful of Utazi leaf
- 2 medium size onions
- 1 big Stockfish head
- 2 dried fish
- 300g of cocoyam
- 4 tablespoon of Achi (local thickening) you can also use Garri, cassava flour, yam flour, potato flour or corn flour.
- 2 cooking spoon of grounded crayfish
- 4 stock cubes (Maggi beef)
- Salt and pepper
How To Cook Oha Soup
Just like Onugbo Soup, in Order to cook a tantalizing pot of Oha soup, you’ll need to
1. Wash the cocoa yam twice with clean water, then boil. After that, peel off the outer back and pound. Then Shred your Ora leaves and Utazi leaves into small bits, wash and set aside.
Note: It is important not to use a knife to shred the Ora leaves. If you use a knife to cut this vegetable, the leaves would darken and lose it’s flavor properties.
2. Wash the goat meat, stockfish, dried fish, and your preferred assorted meat then cook till tender with 2 onion, salt, and 2 stock cubes.
3. Add more water to the pre-cooked meat, after that, introduce you red oil (palm oil), grounded crayfish, Maggi, Ogiri, salt and pepper to taste. Stir firmly and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. The soup should be giving off a pleasant aroma and would be looking a little watery, it’s fine and this means that you are doing the right thing. This means you should add your pounded cocoyam and Achi to thicken the soup, then stir firmly so they can dissolve properly.
5. After the cocoyam and Achi have dissolved into the soup, it should thicken the soup and is a bright sign to add the final recipe(Cook the soup until it’s as thick as you like and then stir). Add Uziza and Ora leaves to the mixture, stir firmly and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Then congratulations, you’ve prepared a tantalizing pot of Oha soup.
Cooking Time: 45 Mins
This Oha soup recipe takes about 30-45 minutes to prepare and can be served to 7 persons. Oha soup is best served hot with hot meals (swallow) like Amala, Semo, Wheat, Eba, Agidi or Fufu. Bon Appetite.
Have you made your tantalizing pot of Oha soup? Or would you like to share you Oha soup recipe?
Feel free to do so in the comment section below. You can also find also tasty meal recipe here and see stuff like How To Cook Oha Soup With Ofor, How To Cook Oha Soup With Uziza And Achi, How To Cook Oha Soup, Pictures Of Oha Soup, How To Make Oha Soup Video, How To Make Oha And Uziza Soup, Oha Soup Calories, and Oha Soup With Achi.